Sunday, May 29, 2016

Mixed media layout "Being a mother..."


Hey all,
In light of some recent stuff going on in my life, I felt the need to scrap a layout about my feelings. 
On April 4 my little boy Connor suddenly got a lump on his neck. The lump got bigger and after being told by the doctor  a couple of times that it would go away on its own, we were sent to the hospital after all, because it just kept growing. 
Since a couple of days before that hospital visit the lump had started to hurt Connor and his skin turned more red by the day.
Long story short: ultrasound, doctor, surgeon, pediatrician, and finally surgery to remove the entire infected gland on Wednsesday, May 18.
We are still awaiting the final test results, but already know the infection wasn't caused by something scary and incurable like cancer. 
However, back when things weren't clear yet, I suffered through some rough times, driving myself crazy with thoughts of bad things. The thought of losing Connor hurt so much it made me cry more than once. 
Just looking at his lump hurt, I can't stand him being in pain. 
I'm so glad the surgery is over, because staying with him until he finally succumbed to the anesthetics, watching him cry and scream, made me cry even harder.
The day after the surgery Connor already didn't experience any pain anymore. The last few days he has a soar throat and I don't know what to think about that. He's been feeling off. I just hope that whatever is plaguing him, will vanish soon.
-------------
The May moodboard from the "Scraps of Darkness & Scraps of Elegance" blog was one of my inspiration sources.
Scrapsofdarkness.blogspot.nl



The moodboard over at "Mixed Media Place" for the May challenge was a perfect fit for the colors and feel I had in mind. That one quote from the moodboard, "She believed she could, so she did", could have been written just for me during this period. I had to believe I could get through this, when I didn't really feel like an adult myself. So I was brave for my little man!
The quote I used for my layout is another one though, because it perfectly describes the feelings I am trying to convey. 
"Being a mother is discovering strengths you didn't know you had and dealing with fears you never knew existed."



Pictured above are almost all of the ingredients you'll need. 
The shades of Tattered Angels glimmermist I used are the following: Verdigris, Latte, Jazz Blue, Walnutgold and chalkboard French Vanilla (for the splatters) and also Glimmerglam Tail Fin (which I forgot to include in the picture!). 

Started my layout by choosing the perfect paper from Kaisercraft, "Antique Bazaar Collection: Unearth".
I wanted the layout to have a 'prickly' feel, so I chose a Sheena stencil with thorn pattern. Applied Viva Decor's "Rusty Paper" through it.


This layout is full of symbolism: rusty staples are holding many things together, to represent both the stitches Connor has gotten, as well as the pieces of my broken heart being held together.
That beaten up and broken heart was made from brown wire, around which I wrapped henp rope in a crazy pattern.


For the middle part I used a shred of paper with bark printed on it, layered onto some fabric which I colored using my old bottle of Walnut Ink.


Used some pieces of bandage (again with a double meaning) colored with Tattered Angels glimmermist "Verdigris" to tie up some more loose ends.
The chipboard clock (from Sandra's Hobbyshop) represents the time ticking away, leaving us hoping, fearing and wondering.


The patterned crosses woodboard background pieces aren't a coincidence either: everybody knows what the Red Cross stands for.


I kept most of the elements on my layout nature related. Also inspired by the feathers from the Mixed Media Place moodboad. It merely enhanced the feeling I already had. Used feathers, a shred of paper with bark print, some wood chips my dad sawed from a branch, a chipboard dandelion from Scrapiniec, wood angel's wings, a small metal arrow and branch.
I'll leave you with some more close-ups. Hope you'll like it! Questions and comments are always welcome!

You can find me on Facebook too: Less is bore
And also in Instagram:mandylessibore

HAPPY SCRAPPING!





13 comments:

Laneen's Creations said...

Wow what a great layout. Love the way you put it together and it fit so gorgeous together. Real lovely colors and embellishments! Amazingly gorgeous job Siss!

Mandy: Less is Bore! said...

Thank you so much sweetie. As long as I use the colors you like you're easily pleased LOL ;)
Big hugs! ♡

Heather said...

Beautiful layout. Thank you for sharing your feeling and your situation. Motherhood is amazing in so many ways.

Mandy: Less is Bore! said...

Thank you Heather ♡
I think scrapping is the best therapy for most of us! Motherhood is amazing but worrying is not :'( ;)

Marci said...

I understand as my now 32 yr old son was in the hospital at 23 mos old for awhile so I had the same experiences. Your page is gorgeous, I hope all is well with your precious little boy

Mandy: Less is Bore! said...

Thank you Marcia for liking, reading and commenting. I assume you got through those times okay?
We should be hearing the final results today so fingers crossed.

Unknown said...

Good vibes and creative love shared to you and Conner today! Your work inspired me today but not as much as your story! You are brave and you are strong your art describes your inner soul and being as a mother! Your art told your soulful story without one word being spoken - great connective soul through your art!

Mandy: Less is Bore! said...

Wow Glenta your beautiful words mean the world to me!♡ That I was able to tell my story to you through my layout gives me such an amazing feeling. All I ever want is for my art to tell its story. So happy I succeeded.
You just lifted my spirit up. Thank you for that. Big hugs.

Unknown said...

So welcome my friend! 😊

Tsaima Eirini said...

It looks like you had a wonderful time and your photo is so beautiful. A fabulous memory make too and a fantastic quote ...beautiful colours and i love the heart. It really pops. Thank you for joining us in MMP...gOOD LUCK!!

Mandy: Less is Bore! said...

I always love getting messy Tsaima Eirini ;)
Thank you. The picture shows my vulnerable boy with his big lump and the quote shows his vulnerable mom :) ♡
I never thought I'd get so many likes from all of you but I am honored! You have set the standard so high! Thank you 😙

talkis23 said...

beautiful creation I<m in love again and again thanks for playing at Mixed Media Place challenge

Mandy: Less is Bore! said...

Aaawww thanx so much Cindy! ♡