Monday, February 8, 2016

"You're a rainbow full of possibilities" Mixed media layout February inspiration board Scraps of Darkness

Hi everyone,

How have you been? 
Despite my silence I have been busy! If all will go accordingly, my first layout ever will soon be published on the Canvas Corp Brands Blog! Can you imagine how proud and excited I am??? 
The layout I am blogging about is not that layout however, of course ;)


This particular layout was inspired by the moodboard over at the Scraps of darkness and scraps of elegance mixed media scrap community. It's their February Inspiration board Challenge!


I had been wanting to scrap a particular picture of Connor and his dad in the swimming pool already, where they sat leaning against all sorts of rainbow colored slides and structures. Connor was about a half year old then, I think.
Because of the rainbow I had in mind, I needed a rather white background paper. This one from 13Arts, called Fly Away "Imagine", suited my need perfectly. 
The circle in the background is also from 13Arts, however I have recently bought whole rolls of this decor fabric at a local store that sells everything and anything (it's called Action). I used gel medium to glue it to the background and let it dry overnight.


The next day I added a layer of gesso all over the circle, then sought out some stencils to use with modeling paste. 



Hardly worth all the effort, because the shapes that were large enough still vanished in the fabric, and the smaller shapes became sort of a blur. But whatever, I created some texture ;)
Threw in some nail caviar (micro beads) assorted beads from my jewelry making stash also.



Time to add some chipboard. Among my chipboard shapes there is also the Scrapiniec Monograce "R". (Of the entire alphabet I won and am slowly but steadily scrapping away.)
I wanted to emphasize the idea that Connor still has endless possibilities, so I used some arrows to indicate him moving forward, etc.



Once all my embellishments were in place it was time for some more layers of gesso...


Then the spraying started. I just used the colors in my stash, not really regarding what brand they were, just picked them because of their color. After everything had dried overnight, I did notice differences. 
Tattered Angels glimmermists dry very nicely (noticed that on my little canvas too), but the Maya Mist and Dylusions tend to stay very wet.
Which does not come in handy if you want to coat everything with gesso, by dabbing it with a sponge brush. Something that succeeded very well I might add, while I was creating the layout I made before this one. (The layout that I mentioned before at the top and will hopefully be on the Canvas Corp Brands blog!)
However this time the gesso simply picked up the colors, especially the red and blue. The wet inks. Well...
So...

I just played some more and re-added some spray inks, and even coated the whole with a pearlescent glimmermist for more glimmer.



Once I had settled on the best and most clear way to add the rest of my quote "You're a rainbow full of possibilities" I gave the Scrapiniec Monograce "R" a few dabs of black gesso. 


Hope you like it! Comments are always most welcome, followers on my facebookpage Less is bore! and my Instagram mandylessisbore even more.
I'll leave you with some close-ups and wish you
Happy Scrapping!














5 comments:

Pamellia said...

Wow Mandy, this is incredible!! Those colours just whisked me away to a hot summer day, all the colours of a rainbow! Love the texture too, just brilliant!! Hugs, your new CCB teamie :)

Mandy: Less is Bore! said...

You are so sweet Pamellia! And I am honored someone with your talent and skill likes my layout.
Glad I could take you away on a daydream. I know I'm yearning for spring again!
Hugs right back at you. Proud to be on the same team :)

Mandy: Less is Bore! said...

You are so sweet Pamellia! And I am honored someone with your talent and skill likes my layout.
Glad I could take you away on a daydream. I know I'm yearning for spring again!
Hugs right back at you. Proud to be on the same team :)

lilyandthelotus.blogspot.com said...

I love your piece. The colors are so bold and beautiful. What a awesome layout and such a sweet photo. This is beautiful!

Mandy: Less is Bore! said...

Thanx Susan! I seem to be rather alone in liking these bold colors, but when it comes to scrapping I am a colourful girl :)